Wynstone Golf Course in North Barrington was the perfect setting for our 12th Annual Swing and a Prayer Golf Outing and St. Joseph provided a picture perfect day. 115 golfers participated, beginning with registration and a fabulous, hot off the grill, lunch. During lunch many of our guests tried to “Putt against a Sister.” But, many were surprised as our Sisters had been practicing and were tough to beat!
After a shotgun start at noon, many of us non-golfers drove carts through the course to cheer on the golfers and enjoy the fabulous scenery. Several Residents arrived early afternoon to relax on the patio, enjoy refreshments and enthusiastically greet the golfers as they drove by.
Cocktail hour was situated on the beautiful patio overlooking the course. Sr. Mary Gerard strolled through the crowd playing her violin (and dazzling our guests with her repertoire).
The crowd grew silent in anticipation and awe, when Mother Margaret hovered above us, waving from the helicopter as she dropped the golf balls onto the course for our “Helicopter Ball Drop Contest.” Before moving to the dining room for dinner, Sr. Juliana played her guitar as the Sisters sang Grace.
Mother began the program by thanking everyone for participating and supporting the Little Sisters of the Poor and their mission. A Fund a Need appeal for a new Whirlpool Therapeutic Tub for our 3rd floor Residents. The appeal was met with a generous response from our guests as we raised the $21,500 needed to purchase the tub.
The winners of the outing were finally announced. Each winner received a loaf of the Little Sisters’ famous banana bread.
Congratulations to our winners:
1. Lowest Score – John Suchomski, John Cyboran, Doug Heasley, and David Heasley, whose names will be engraved on the McDonald Cup.
2. Lowest Score Mixed Team – John Carney, Stephen Weiss, Jessica Carney and Francesca Carney
3. Lowest Score Ladies Team – Mary Stallone and Julie Papas.
4. Most Honest Team (Highest Score) – Gage McCotter, Brad Foley, Bob Kuenn, and Don Lydon
5. Closest to the Hole (men) – Brad Newman, Closest to the Hole (women) – Kasia Loeber
6. Longest Putt – Traci Smith
7. Longest Drive (men) – John Cyboran, Longest Drive (women) – Jessica Carney
8. Longest Rubber duck Drive – Mark Gorsch
This year’s Golf Outing was a great success thanks to all our benefactors and donors!!